Wednesday, January 27, 2010

R.I.P.: Houston's Cue & Cushion

Check out the Houston Chronicle blog post about the demise of that city's Cue & Cushion pool hall. It was a great room, having been a favored haunt of Jersey Red and others. It has been replaced by a tony restaurant -- an upscale joint greeted with great enthusiasm by food critics. There are some who seemed almost to have welcomed the demise of the Cue & Cushion, with one food critic going so far as to note "that the new restaurant sprang forth from the carcass of the old Cue and Cushion dive (which) makes the (dining) experience even more delicious."

But in its prime the Cue & Cushion was a truly great room. The Houston Press recently had named it the best in the city.

Kudos to my old friend Mike Snyder for seeing fit to post a tribute to the room. (I helped!) Mike and I spent many hours there shooting nine-ball. You can find Mike's post here.


-- R.A. Dyer

4 comments:

Billiard Pool Tables said...

Hi,
It is a great post and i have very limited knowledge about cues and cushions used while playing billiards but after reading your post now its clear to me that which sort of cue is suitable for me for playing billiards.

Unknown said...

I am trying to find some neat things for a friend of mine he has been helping me alot want to surprice him. His dad used ti play pool at LeCue years ago . Down memory lane he is so nice his name is John. thanks patty

Unknown said...

more about the LeCue in Houston,texas for John

Unknown said...

My dad owned the Le Cue Pool Room in the West Universirty Village from the 1960’s RO early 1980’s.
A lot of great world class players hung out there. My Dad also owned the first Brunswick Pool Table Dealership in Houston which was on the ground floor beneath the second floor Le Cue. Fun stuff.